Here are four fabulous cupcake recipes. Easy enough to make with kids, delicious enough to be enjoyed by adults. Below you will find recipes for plain, vanilla, lemon and chocolate cupcakes complete with buttercream recipes. For a picture tutorial on how to create perfect buttercream swirls click HERE.
Plain Cupcake Recipe
- 125g (1 Cup) butter or margarine
- 125g (1 Cup) caster sugar
- 125g (1 Cup) plain (all purpose) flour, sifted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125g (1 Cup) butter
- 250g (2 Cups) icing (confectioners) sugar
How to Make Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (Electric oven | Electric fan oven 160°C | Gas Mark 4)
- Beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy. Use an electric whisk or wooden spoon
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating each one in well before adding the next. Carefully fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Divide the ingredients equally between 12 cupcake case and bake in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes. After 10 minutes, check to see if the cupcakes are ready by inserting a cocktail stick into one of the cupcakes. If it comes out dry then the cupcakes are done. If not, then back in the oven for a few minutes more. Don’t overcook the cupcakes otherwise they will dry out. When cooked through remove from oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Buttercream icing
- For a simple buttercream icing mix 125g (1 Cup) of butter with 250g (2 Cups) of icing (confectioners) sugar. Continue to mix until smooth. Then add to a piping bag and create beautiful buttercream swirls on your cupcakes. Click HERE for a picture tutorial on creating buttercream swirls
The above recipe is your basic cupcake recipe and will create delicious moist cupcakes. To create different flavoured cupcakes you just need to add your flavours to the above cupcake mix.
Vanilla Cupcake recipe
Make the plain cupcake mix as above. Mix in ½ tsp of vanilla essence before baking.
Vanilla buttercream icing
Make buttercream icing as per the instructions above and add in ½ tsp of vanilla essence
Lemon Cupcake recipe
Make the plain cupcake mix as above and mix in ½ of the zest of a lemon to the basic mix before baking.
Lemon buttercream icing
Make buttercream icing as per the instructions above and add in the remaining ½ lemon zest and 2 tsp of lemon juice.
Chocolate Cupcake recipe
Make the plain cupcake mix as above. Mix in 30g (1/4 cup) of coco powder and 1 tablespoon of milk before baking. For a more chocolate taste you can also add in chocolate chips.
Chocolate buttercream icing
Make buttercream icing as per the instructions above and add in 25g (1/4 cup) of coco powder or melted chocolate and a few drops of Vanilla Extract.
For more buttercream icing recipes click HERE
For a delicious Swiss meringue buttercream recipe click HERE
For a picture tutorial on how to decorate your cupcakes with buttercream swirls click HERE
Subscribe to The Fabulous Moms Guide
Have this fabulous blog arrive right in your inbox! Simply enter your name and email in here now (it's quick, safe and easy!)...
Your email address is never taken for granted, shared, rented or sold. You can unsubscribe easily at anytime.